Monday, 10 February 2014

Matching Millie

My little girl has just turned two so there has been lots preparation in our house for this. For Christmas I made her a patchwork quilt out of the "Melly and Me: Snug as a Bug" book, it was great fun and I was pleased with how it turned out.


Sung as a Bug quilt


It was far from perfect but I learned a lot including some very handy tips on how to piece squares and how to bind. The video below is full of really helpful tips to get consistent blocks.

I decided to bind my quilt using the backing fabric as I felt it gave a nice edge and saved me trying to get the front and back straight. For Christmas my daughter also got a BHS Millie doll which has outfits to match hers. Matching pyjamas were a huge hit so I therefore decided to make Millie a little quilt to match. I did not have a lot of leftover fabric as I had planned how much I would need and cut really carefully. I made it 35 squares of 8cm by 8cm (before seam) and laid out what I had. I tend to plan patchwork as if I am doing a sudoku - no matching bits touching each other etc. I used the same backing as it is nice and soft and stitched in the ditch to quilt it. It was small simple and still not perfect but she realised what it was straight away and Millie has been nice and warm since.




No comments:

Post a comment